Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Lies Like Love

Written by: Louisa Reid
Published by: Penguin Books
Pages: 292
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Lies
'There were a few problems...bullying...a fire...'
Like
'I think she's verging on psychosis...now she's lashing out.'
Love
'She's got no one else to fight for her'

Sixteen year-old Audrey just wants to be normal. She's trying to fit in. But what happens when the person closest to you suffocates you with their love? What happens then?

My Rating: 4/5

Lies like Love is Louisa Reid's second novel and I was given this novel in return for an honest review through NetGalley. First off, I can't begin to describe how much I love this book. It has a really interesting premise that revolves around depression and mental illness and how it affects the people who have it. It's split between two perspectives, one being Audrey and the other being Leo. Both struggling/struggled with mental illness in some way and both really strong characters. To be honest, I didn't really know what the book was about, the blurb/synopsis didn't really give to much away, so I was going into this with complete curiosity as to what I would be reading. It turned out to be a really engrossing and captivating read.
We could be new. We could be well. My heart relaxed, unclenched, and I grabbed Peter's hand and we ran to meet her.
The characters in the book are beautifully written. I love how strong Audrey seems, how she looks after her younger brother and the protectiveness she exudes. I also love how open Leo is, how he feels drawn to Audrey from the very beginning. But then I love how you can see how depression can affect and tear away the strength and makes them battle with their own minds. Yet it was subtle hints that showed how affected they were and so you were just shouting at the characters to see how they weren't dealing with it, it was getting worse. Not to mention, the relationship between the two main characters, Audrey and Leo, was so sweet and loving I was swept away in it. 
I read the rest of the poem, then shut my eyes and saw the bird, Hope, come to life; I felt it stir inside me, just a flutter.
Overall the only thing that I didn't really like about the book was that the pace was a little slow for my liking (which is why I didn't rate it a full 5 stars). It took a while to get into things, but it was still strangely gripping so I couldn't put it down but then I couldn't wait for it to pick up a bit. Especially when it lead to that ending! Wow, now that was something I did not expect!  Altogether I thought the book was a touching and heartfelt read that showed insight to the troubles that cause and lead to mental illness. Along with a sweet romance and heartbreaking ending. It was a thoroughly gripping and beautifully written read.

Lies Like Love