Monday, 26 January 2015

Breaking the Rules

Written by: Katie McGarry
Published by: MIRA Ink
Format: Kindle
Pages: 464
Purchase from:  Amazon  |  Book Depository

I wish life could be like this forever,' I say. 'We'd be okay then. We'd forever be okay.' 
For Echo Emerson, a road trip with her boyfriend is the perfect way to spend the last summer between school and college. It's a chance forget all the things that make her so different at home. But most of all, it means almost three months alone with gorgeous Noah Hutchins, the only boy who's never judged her. 
Echo and Noah share everything. But as their pasts come crashing back into their lives, its harder to hide that they come from two very different worlds. And as the summer fades, Echo faces her toughest decision – struggle to face the future together or let her first love go...

My Rating: 4/5

Breaking the Rules is the novella story that follows after Pushing the Limits. I read Pushing the Limits within a day (read my review of it here) and fell completely in love with Noah so I just couldn't wait to get stuck into Breaking the Rules and see how their story continues. Hoping against hope that it would end with a happily ever after that the characters really deserve. The story picks up a couple of weeks where it left off with Echo and Noah coming to the end of their road trip and slightly dreading going back to their normal lives. I was a little apprehensive as Pushing the Limits had set such a high standard that I didn't want to be let down when it came to it. So I was extremely glad when this wasn't the case and I fell right back in love with the characters again.
"It's all good, baby. Sometimes we don't choose the memories, but they choose us."
When it comes to Noah there isn't much that I don't connect with. He had a rough childhood and as a result is loyal to a fault and extremely protective but this was all seen with Pushing the Limits, so when his character started to develop and get a little self doubtful... I was riveted. I couldn't wait to find out how he would approach the difficulties that started to occur and I was constantly wondering if he would ever catch a break. Having said this, because I was so interested in Noah, I did get a little annoyed with Echo and their relationship. To me it seemed to be the same drama and the same selfishness that would not allow their relationship to grow in Pushing the Limits. As a result it was slightly monotonous, it was just the same things over and over and I did start to get a little bored by the events that was transpiring because it seemed to be once again all about Echo. Not that I still didn't like Echo I just couldn't connect with her. 
But I'm Echo before the nightmare that created her myth - a girls I've never understood before this summer, a girl that Noah helped bring to life. I'm playful and I'm free.
There were times that I did get annoyed by the similarities in problems that were both happening in Pushing the Limits and Breaking the Rules, it always came down to the distrusting and immaturity between Echo and Noah. Therefore it felt as though neither had developed as much as I was expecting. This was meant to be the start of their happily ever after but it seemed as they were once again bogged down by their insecurities. Although I did love the difference in Noah's story and how he was dealing with it. And there were times that I was surprised with how Echo was changing. Not to mention I still enjoyed the whole overall story because it had all the little things that I had come to love in Pushing the Limits. I just wanted a little more growth and development of the characters to make me fall in love with it even more.  
The worst type of letting go isn't the kicking or the screaming, because at least then there's enough emotion left to fight. No, the worst type is the silent acceptance. The quietness of the release.
All in all, the series in itself is brilliant in encompassing drama and love for it's characters. It makes you cheer them on for fighting their 'demons' and really pushes you to believe that there is still a happily ever after for everyone they just need a little shove in the right direction. Breaking the Rules is not exactly what I expected for Noah's and Echo's journey but I did love the little surprises, overall determination and love they had for one and other. I would recommend you give it a try before reading the rest of the series because it does give some closer that is needed for the character's relationship.

Breaking the Rules