Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Review: What I Thought Was True - Huntley Fitzpatrick

Written by: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Published by: Speak
Edition: Paperback
Pages: 410
Purchase From: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Gwen's whole life is about to change.

Gwen Castle comes from a long line of fisherman and housecleaners who support Seashell Island's summer visitors, and she expects her life to go the same way.
But then she discovers that Cassidy Somers - also known as her Biggest Mistake Ever - is working on the island for the season. And though she tries to avoid him, fate keeps pushing them together.

Sparks fly and secrets are revealed as Gwen spends a gorgeous, restless summer struggling to resolve what she was true - about her life, herself, and the people she loves - with what really is.


I will always have a special place in my heart for Huntley Fitzpatrick's writing. Her first book My Life Next Door was the first book I ever reviewed so its like a need for me to review her other books, which is what I find myself doing today after finishing What I Thought was True in just one sitting. While I find Huntley's writing simple and sweet you can always expect an emotional punch that can knock you off your feet and come from the smallest and unexpected of places, this sort of writing was definitely not lost in What I Thought Was True. 
“That what you’ve always had doesn’t mean that’s what you’ll always get. That what you’ve always wanted isn’t what you’ll always want.”
Even though the writing style was completely perfect, I felt as that there was something in the narrative that was lacking. It was bugging me throughout the entirety, that something did not feel quite right, but I could not narrow it down, until it finally sparked in my brain that the actual romance part of the story was not packing the punches like I expected it too. I loved the family aspect, just like her first novel the family relationships shone throughout the pages it a totally special and warming way, but the relationship between Gwen and Cas felt slightly rushed and forced. It just didn't flow as well as I thought it would. Now that's not to say I didn't think the characters were cute but to me the family side of the story, once again, took centre stage, while the romance faded slightly in the background.
“I remember...watching that separation of sea and sky...and for the first time I realize that none of us are seeing the same thing. That all our horizons end in different places.”
All in all, What I Thought Was True really shines as a sweet summer read that does tie you in knots emotionally, just not in the way you would expect. While the relationship is all kinds of cute, the family is what really pulls you in. I got all types of tangled in their storyline and they are really what made me respect and connect with the characters. They projected a type of realism that is sometimes hard to find in books and really kept the characters and the narrative grounded. Once again Huntley Fitzpatrick really nailed it with this novel, because while the family pulled me in, the story is what kept me interested. If there could of been a little more development with the relationship to keep it from felling slightly rushed this story would of been a full five stars.
What I Thought Was True