Thursday, 17 March 2016

Review: The Boy Most Likely To - Huntley Fitzpatrick

Written by: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Published by: Egmont Publishing
Format: Kindle
Edition: NetGalley Review Copy
Pages: 432
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Tim Mason was The Boy Most Likely To find the liquor cabinet blindfolded, need a liver transplant, and drive his car into a house
Alice Garrett was The Girl Most Likely To . . . well, not date her little brother’s baggage-burdened best friend, for starters.
For Tim, it wouldn’t be smart to fall for Alice. For Alice, nothing could be scarier than falling for Tim. But Tim has never been known for making the smart choice, and Alice is starting to wonder if the “smart” choice is always the right one. When these two crash into each other, they crash hard.



It is an undeniable fact that I am a huge fan of Huntley Fitzpatrick's writing, she is defiantly an auto-buy author for me, so when I heard that The Boy Most Likely To would be a companion novel that follows My Life Next Door and is all about Tim I was completely on board. Pre-ordered and waiting. So when the opportunity came for me to request a review copy through NetGalley there was literally no hesitation, I requested and waited with my fingers crossed. Some one must of heard my prayers because my request was accepted and I immediately hunkered down and got to reading. All in all, I think its safe to say that my expectations of this novel was astronomically big. Which is why when it comes to my review, there are a few small and minor faults I had with the story. 
“God, I hate it when people even say there are types, like people come in flavours.” 
The Boy Most Likely To picks up where My Life Next Door stops, Tim is needing a place to stay and what better place than with his best friend, Jase Garrett's, home. While Alice is still coming to terms with her dad's accident and her handling the responsibility it has placed on her.
Okay so I've said it once and I will say it again, Huntley Fitzpatrick, knows how to write an amazing family dynamic. The Garrett's are always the shining star, they are literally written perfectly, a strong family that shows the realistic problems a big family can face. Such as money issues, sibling responsibilities, growing up too fast etc. But that never seems to bring them down for long, they keep powering through the tough times and I love that. I love reading about it, I love picturing it, I love everything about it, so you can imagine my slight disappointment when I felt that there wasn't enough of it. I needed more of the family, more of Jase and Sam, to just tip the scales and make this book perfect. 
“It’s not rocket science, Nan. You show someone they matter to you—do whatever it takes to show that.” 
Now I did just bring up Jase and Sam, and they were in this novel, so I might have to explain that I found it hard to let go of the romance in My life Next Door with the romance in The Boy Most Likely To. As much as I was reading about Tim and Alice, all I wanted to know was more about Jase and Sam. I literally was craving them. So much so that it made me realise, that while I really enjoyed this book I was still desperately involved and wanting more Sam and Jase in it, without them it gave me a incomplete and lacking feeling. 
"She stops, and I can hear the gears turning as she tries to figure out how to put it. Because you - Are the boy most likely to. Fail. Everyone and Everything."
However, let's just get this straight, this novel is a companion novel to My Life Next Door, meaning that you don't have to read the first one to understand this one. It can stand on it's own, and if that was how I read it, it would of been a full 5 stars instead of 4. But seeing as I read them both, I can't help but compare them and feel that the romance in this one felt slightly rushed, slightly pushed. It felt as though everything happened within the last couple of chapters, that even though there were suggestions here and there, it sort of exploded in your face.

"People's strengths can take their turn. There can be more of us than there is trouble."
All in all, as a standalone novel The Boy Most Likely To is superb. It has everything you need, emotional drama (and let me tell you that drama packs quite the punch), realistic problems and amazingly developed characters. Seriously the characters were brilliant, every single one of them. The only thing letting it down for me was the romance, I did enjoy it, I just didn't love it. It felt a little too pushed in my opinion. You never really understood Alice's side of it until the very end and by that point everything just had this air of rushed anticipation, not the sort of realistic romance you were meant to feel. It set the book a little off in my opinion but it did not effect the overall fantastic feeling I got when reading this novel. It will go down as one of my favourites, just like all the other Huntley Fitzpatrick novels, and I can't wait to see what she writes next. 
The Boy Most Likely To