Thursday, 24 March 2016

Review: Calamity - Brandon Sanderson

Written by: Brandon Sanderson
Published by: Gollancz
Edition: Hardcover
Pages: 432
Purchase from:  Amazon  |  Book Depository

When Calamity lit up the sky, the epics were born. David's fate has been tied to their villainy ever since that historic night. And now Regalia has turned his closest ally into a dangerous enemy.
David knew Prof's secret, and kept it even when the onetime leader of the Reckoners struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers.
But facing Obliteration in Babilar was too much. Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. And everyone knows there's no turning back...
But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics. They're not lost. Not completely. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying.


When it comes to Brandon Sanderson's books, I find it hard to not have huge expectations. This is the first full series of books that I have read from him and I fell harder and harder with each passing word. He is just a fantastic author. Yet, there were some things left within the novel that I do feel as though they were a little short, a little brief, but I cannot deny that Calamity left me breathtakingly speechless just like the other two books (Steelheart and Firefight). So in short any grievances I had with the story were swept away with how much I love the genius of Sanderson's writing. 
"My Megan is a sunrise, always changing, but beautiful the entire time."
Calamity picks up soon after Firefight left off, at the very start of a new mission, so straight away you are propelled back into the action, back into the story and back into the brilliant mind of David Charleston. As Firefight left you on the edge of your seat wondering if the Reckoners will be able to get out from under Prof's nose without harm, Calamity is pulling you into how this team is going to bring back their friend from the darkness, something no one has managed to do. It literally hits the ground running and unlike some books where you have to scramble to pick up the pieces, Sanderson does a really good job of catching you up on the events that have transpired between the two novels in a really easy and quick way. 
“Damn, I miss the internet. You could always find people doing stupid stuff on the internet.
There have been some mixed reviews on the end fight but honestly I didn't have a problem with it, in many ways it made it seem more human and I actually liked that about it. Yes it wasn't as epic and huge as I hoped but it still got your adrenaline pumping, still made me devour the words. All that was missing for me was a slightly larger resolution. That's not to say that there wasn't a resolution, it was just kind of abrupt and didn't really answer all of the questions instead it added more to the mix. 
"There will be heroes. Just wait."
All in all, Calamity is just like the other books in the series. Exquisite writing, amazing story and brilliant characters. Everything just works. Yes, the ending was minutely disappointing but, on the other hand, it left it open with the possibility of more stories from this world, which would just be amazing, so I can't really fault it. This series is something I would always seriously recommend, and this writing is something I will always love because, honestly, it's hard not to fall for a Brandon Sanderson novel.  
Calamity (Reckoners, #3)