Wednesday, 30 March 2016

Review: A Thousand Pieces of You - Claudia Grey

Written by: Claudia Grey
Published by: Harper Teen
Edition: Paperback
Pages: 360
Purchase from: Amazon  |  Book Depository

Marguerite Caine grew up surrounded by cutting-edge scientific theories, thanks to her brilliant physicist parents. Yet nothing is more astounding than her mother's latest invention, a device called the Firebird that allows people to leap into alternate dimensions. 
When Marguerite's father is murdered, all the evidence points to one person - Paul, her parent's enigmatic star student. Before the law can touch him, Paul slips into another dimension, having committed what seems like the perfect crime. But he didn't count on Marguerite.
With the help of another physics student, Theo, Marguerite chases Paul through various dimensions. In each new world Marguerite leaps into, she meets another version of Paul that has her doubting his guilt and questioning her heart. Soon, she is swept into an epic love affair as dangerous as it is irresistible. 


This story has me highly confused, after finishing A Thousand Pieces of You I am split in two ways. On the one hand, I loved the theory behind it, it was so unique and was extremely intriguing. Yet on the other, I felt that it took a lull in the middle and was slightly predictable. This is why I was battling two sides when I was reading this novel because while I found it intriguing I also found it annoying, I loved it but I also got hugely infuriated by it. 
"It takes time to really, truly fall for someone. Yet I believe in a moment. A moment when you glimpse the truth within someone, and they glimpse the truth within you. In that moment, you don’t belong to yourself any longer, not completely."
I was originally interested in this book because it was blurbed by Jennifer L. Armentrout (who I absolutely love) and then the actual premise just pulled me right in. The idea of reading a book that takes places throughout alternate dimensions? just sign me up! But after the first couple of paragraphs I found myself loosing a little interest. I was getting increasingly annoyed with the main character. She was so up and down and couldn't really get it together, I thought it was blaringly obvious who was the real culprit was behind the crime, but to her everything was just so upside down and that just didn't sit right with me.
“I would love you in any shape, in any world, with any past. Never doubt that."
Then it came to the middle of the story and bearing in mind I was already annoyed with the main character I got even more irked when what started off with a really fast paced super gripping story started to lull when they got stuck in an alternate dimension that was supposed to add a few speed bumps in the romance department but all it really did was confuse me more with the situation. The story was telling me one thing yet the main character conflicted it all and that has never really happened before. for obvious reasons because how can a story conflict with the characters but really it was clear to see that the alternate versions of themselves are basically the same as their true selves but the Marguerite wanted to believe differently, that she had fallen in love with a different Paul but who was practically the same Paul. I don't know it just got really confusing from there on out and I couldn't love the story because of how it was giving off two different vibes. Not to mention it was becoming extremely predictable and slow paced, which is defiantly one of my pet peeves.
“Now I know that grief is a whetstone that sharpens all your love, all your happiest memories, into blades that tear you apart from within.”
However the most annoying thing about ATPOY was how stunningly addictive the writing was. No matter how irate I got over the predictability of the story or the main character I was still gripped by the writing. I had to finish the story, I had to know how it all unravelled, and mainly I had to know what happened to Paul because even though Marguerite was vexing, Paul was all kinds of cute and moreish. I put all this down to the actual writing because however expected I found the twists the way the writing revolved around them made me keep reading, made me want to go on. I was being pulled in two different opinions on this novel but nevertheless I was just as addicted. 
“I fell in love with his unchanging soul.”
All in all, A Thousand Pieces of You needed a little more focus on the romance and a little less predictability within the narrative to make it perfect. While a got frustrated with many things within the novel I did get thoroughly gripped by the dramatic occurrences within. What it lacked in mystery it made up for in uniqueness. So while the first book fell a little flat for me, I will undoubtedly follow on with the series as I just can't get quite enough of it.


A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)