Wednesday, 1 June 2016

Review: Me Before You - Jojo Moyes


Written by: Jojo Moyes
Published by: Penguin Random House UK
Edition: Film Tie-in Paperback
Pages: 481
Purchase from: Amazon  | Book Depository

Lou Clark knows lots of things.
She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she is about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now, and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

After seeing Emilia Clarke in an interview for the film adaptation of Me Before You I felt this undeniable urge to finally pick up this novel, after of months of putting it off because of the hype, and get stuck in. I am so glad I did because it has undoubtedly been worth all the talk and all the fantastic reviews. It is simply perfect. Me Before You follows Lou Clark as she adjusts to her unexpected career change that ultimately turns her comfortable life up side down. Before Will Traynor she was happy with living life under the radar, just going from day to day not really wanting to shake things up. Whereas Will Traynor's accident has changed him in a way that is a whole lot of something that cannot really be explained without giving away so many spoilers. This story just swallows you whole and you get stuck into the character's progression like no other. It was heart-wrenchingly amazing, don't let the hype fool you because this book is well worth it. 
'Push yourself. Don't settle. Just live well. Just LIVE.'
If there is one this that sets this book on the pedestal that it so rightly deserves it is the characters. Their little quirks and annoyances really added just that extra sense of realism. They weren't perfect, far from it, yet they were so maddeningly realistic that I really fell hook line and sinker for each and every one of them. The development of each of them is so subtle and so genuine that it really gives it that extra umph, that extra punch to the throat of sadness that you just can't keep back. For a book that has a really controversial plot I really understood each side, making me so conflicted. I wanted to be angry but I understood, I wanted to scream at how wrong things were but I really couldn't judge. It was perfect in explaining and connecting you to each characters thoughts and reasons that I just loved how angry you felt at the end because it was like you couldn't choose how right or wrong things stood, which I thought is how things unconditionally should be. It took me on an emotional joyride that never let up even when I was on the last word of the last page. It just keeps on going, way after the book is finished. 
'I will never, ever regret the things I've done. Because most days, all you have are the places in your memory that you can go to.'
Ultimately if your looking for a romance novel, this book is not it. Yes there is underlining love between the two characters but what it mainly focuses on is the something so much more. It really gets you thinking on an issue that is seen as controversial but it is written in a way that no stone is left unturned when it comes to the values and reasons of this issue. You get to see both sides, and it is done in such a brilliant way that at the end of it you are still left analysing the situation and the what ifs. What would you really do if you were in a situation like this? 
'"Hey Clark," he said."Tell me something good."'
All in all, I thought this book was perfect and I am so amped up for the movie and just how it will get played out on screen. I cannot wait to get stuck into more of JoJo Moyes novels because if they are written anything like this I can know, without a shadow of a doubt, they will catapult on to my all time favourites. 

Me Before You